Usually pasta, sauces and meatballs are cooked in separate cooking dishes and require additional kitchen tools. Inspired by pasta, sauce and meatballs in a can I have created this recipe fore the sole purpose of making it in a Dutch Oven. I love the Dutch Oven and I love campfire cooking. Recipes like One-Pot Meatballs And Pasta Os Recipe bring little bit of Italy on every trip.
One-Pot Meatballs And Pasta Os Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked mild Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces dry O-shaped pasta 2 cups, also known as anelli or anelletti
- Parmesan cheese red pepper flakes
Divide the sausage into 32 (1/2-ounce) portions and roll each one into a tablespoon-sized meatball.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 3 minutes per side. The meatballs might not be completely cooked at this point. Transfer to a plate.
Return the pan to medium-high heat and melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the onion, salt, and pepper, and cook, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes, 2 cups of the water or broth, vinegar, sugar, and oregano. Stir in the pasta and meatballs, along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente and the meatballs are cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes, adding more water or broth as needed if you want a soupier consistency. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes, if desired.