I have tried many different camping and dutch oven recipes and I can tell which recipe is for which occasion or if it is summer, spring or autumn meal, whether it is a breakfast,lunch or dinner meal. But I can tell you that Dutch Oven Pork Chili Verde is a tex-mex style meal which is amazing for every occasion and it is very popular and loved among many people so it will bring the best reviews. Also, it is a very simple meal to make and it doesn’t take much of your time. Let’s get straight to the recipe…
Dutch Oven Pork Chili Verde
- .5 - .75 lbs of Pork Chops cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 lb Ground Beef
- .5 - 1 T Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 - 2 Cloves of Garlic minced
- 6 oz. Green Chilis chopped
- 1 can Stewed Tomatoes - we like the Mexican seasoned tomatoes 14.4 oz
- 1 or 2 Jalepenos chopped - keep the seeds if you like it spicy
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Hot Sauce to taste optional
- Cheese optional
- Tortillas Any kind - we used whole wheat, but flour would be great, too
Stoke up a fire and get plenty of coals burning.
Place the Dutch oven on the coals. Add the olive oil. Once hot, add the pork chops and ground beef. Cook until just browned.
Mix in the onion, jalepeno(s),garlic and allow them to saute for a few minutes. Add in the green chilis and stewed tomatos. Mix well.
This dish is really flavorful but not too spicy, so add in a few dashes of hot sauce if you want to spice it up.
Cover with the Dutch oven lid. Bake 45 minutes using coals on the top and bottom (about 10 coals on bottom, 14 on top).
Serve with warmed tortillas.
Photo by Flickr/Andrew Lynch